Photo of The Day

Short stories about traveling to interesting places

03/05/10

Between Day 4 and day 5 - ADAMS PEAK
















The Slightly Chilled hotel was far below comparing with the other two but still an enchating place. We had an extraordinary meal that even - the chicken curry and salad where just great even super hot for me (with bombastic chilies). I tried to go to bed early but it was not an easy to sleep. I focus on the sounds of nature outside and I let myself go. I Wake up at 1.30 am to start climbing the Adams peak to be up there by 6 am to witness the sunrise. I joint Bandu, my guide to Adams Peak, and we start our hard way. Adam's Peak (also Adam's Mount; Sinhalese Samanalakanda "butterfly mountain”, is a 2,243 meters (7,359 ft) tall conical mountain located in central Sri Lanka. It is well-known for the Sri Pada "sacred footprint", a 1.8 m rock formation near the summit, in Buddhist tradition held to be the footprint of the Buddha, in Hindu tradition that of Shiva, in Christian tradition that of St. Thomas, and in Muslim tradition that of Adam. It was incredible humid when we start and after a few steps up I was totally sweated. The climbing is not difficult but long and with steps most of the way (5.200 of then). They say in Sri Lanka that we are a fool is we lived without climbing the Adams peak once but we are much more fool if we climbing it twice. During the way we found some other tourists but mainly we chare our way with the peregrines, walking with gifts and presents to the ceremony walking and singing Buddhist songs to alleviate the push of the path. The journey takes several hours at least. The peak pilgrimage season is in April, and the goal is to be on top of the mountain at sunrise, where he Pooja ceremony take place in temple. We were fast and we arrive a bit before sunrise. The humidity that we had in the beginning disappeared and a strong and cold wind took is place. I took all my cloths of my bag and I enjoyed the place walking around for a wile and interacting with locals. I was impressed with the amount of people sleeping there waiting for the Pooja. The moment of the sunrise was magic even with the mist. After the sun is up, a distinctive shape of the mountain casts a triangular shadow on the surrounding plain and can be seen if we move quickly downward as the sunrises. The climbing of Adam’s Peak was one of the highs moments of my trip to Sri Lanka, for all reasons: for the challenge of the climbing, for the atmosphere of the pilgrims, for the respect shown for all to this exotic and mysterious place.

Sem comentários: