Photo of The Day

Short stories about traveling to interesting places

01/07/08

Relaxing in Ibn Tulun Mosque. Cairo, Egypt


I visit Egypt last December 2006 for the second time. In my fist time in Egypt, back in 1997, I spent my days visiting the wonderful historic places of the Nile. This time I went to Cairo for the first time. I totally reject the idea of a quick visit, one day at the Egyptian Museum, another at the Pyramids. Cairo is a city full of life and energy. I felt that it takes several days just to explore Cairo's life, and discover one of the most exotic, dramatic, extravagant, profound and, genuinely, fascinating places on earth. I dedicated most of my time visiting religious sites: Catholic, Islamic and Copt. I was astonished by the Ibn Tulun Mosque. This mosque dates back to the 9th century and is one the largest mosques in the Muslim world. It takes its name from Ahmad Ibn Tulum, founder of the Tulunid Dynasty which dominated Egypt from 868-905. The mosque was built from 876-79 with materials gathered from a destroyed Christian church outside the Muslim city. The views of the city are great and I couldn’t resist in snap shooting this image.

Sem comentários: